Rat trap bond
Rat trap bond brick masonry is an alternative to normal English bond masonry walls by which 15% of cost can be reduced
without comprimising the quality, strength and appearances.
Laurie Baker Building Center was setup in early 1990 in New Delhi, jointly promoted by Housing & Urban Development Corporation
(HUDCO) and Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB). As the name suggests, the centre pays tribute to the ideologies
and creations of the renowned Architect, Padma Shri
Laurence Wilfred Baker.
We adopt cost effective and eco-friendly technologies such as rat-trap bond, filler slabs, arches and domes for cost
effectiveness which are aesthetic in addition to normal constructions, which are architecturally designed and constructed on
a turn-key basis.
Unlike English or Flemish bond practiced in solid 9 inch thick masonry, in Rat Trap Bond vertical cavities are generated wherein
air arrested acts as insulation. As a result, 2 degree temperature is controlled. Summers are cooler and winters warmer in
side resulting energy savings.
In Rat Trap Bond there is also saving in number of bricks by 25% and equivalent mortar. Use of these technologies results in
an overall saving to an extent of 15% to 20% in overall cost of buildings beside being green and eco-friendly.
Other than these we also undertake usual constructions like framed R.C.C. structures in compliance with
earthquake resistance norms. That is all services like architectural design, structural design, project management, labour
and material management from day 1 up to completion of project.
We are a government promoted Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) run on no profit no loss basis. The cost effective technologies
we promote and adopt stand validated by Anna University, which suit all constructions. We undertake projects like
institutional buildings, schools, hospitals, group housing societies other than residential buildings and farmhouses etc.
Aims and Objectives
- Dissemination of cost-effective and alternative technologies.
- Turn-key consultancy and project management.
- A wide range of construction projects for government and private sectors.
- Institutional projects such as Vocational training centers, schools, health centers, hospitals, open air theaters and religious structures.
- Technology dissemination programs such as participation in exhibitions, conducting on the job training programs for technicians, artisans, etc.
Awards and Citations
- Commendation award for excellence in display on build tech at India International Trade Fair (1995).
- Commendation for outstanding performance by HUDCO (1994-1995).
- Commendation by India trade promotion organization (1995).
- Second prize in low cost housing competition by HUDCO and Hari Om Trust, Gujarat (1997).
- Commendation for outstanding performance in the field of alternative technologies by HUDCO (1998).